Each year, the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) issues work permits for temporary foreign workers (TFW) which enables Canadian employers to hire foreign skilled workers to fill temporary labour shortages. 

The work visa/permit allows an individual to gain temporary residence in Canada while providing a golden opportunity to gain culture experience. Furthermore, this would lead to eventual Canadian citizenship. 

The duration of the work permits can range from several months to several years, depending on conditions related to the job. 

Applying for this visa starts by filing a written application for a recruitment of a qualified worker by an eligible Canadian Employer to Canadian Social Development and Employment (ESDC) to obtain an Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). After obtaining an LMIA, the applicant submits work permit application to the IRCC, and then a visa officer verifies the LMIA, reviews the required qualifications and skills, and English/French proficiency of the applicant to decide to issue a work permit to the eligible applicants. 

Today, a valid job offer is generally used to earn more points and support permanent residency application in the Express Entry (EE) system due to its significant impact on the success of applications and acceleration of the migration process on some immigration path such as the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). 


Open Work Permit 

Open Work Permit is the other type of work permit that does not need to obtain an LMIA, and lets the holder of the permit, such as international students and other eligible foreigners, for any employer in Canada. 

If you are also looking for a golden opportunity to emigrate through your professional skills, contact our experts at UNIVISA.